Discovery Pier Vision
💦 The Discovery Center ~ Great Lakes is a collaborative place that connects and inspires people to protect the Great Lakes and natural resources which are precious, unique, and vital to our live and the community.
💦 MISSION: A sustainable place that emotionally, physically and intellectually connects people of all ages, needs and abilities to freshwater and the Great Lakes by providing access to:
- History and culture
- Environmental stewardship
- Scientific exploration
💦 Create connections between:
- The Pier and Greilickville Harbor Park
- The east and west sides of M-22
- Discovery Center & Discovery Pier
- The TART Trail and the Discovery Center & Pier
- The Pier and the greater Community
💦 Offer a home berth to the region’s tall ship fleet and a venue for the public to see them up close, while making that experience as informative and interesting as possible, whether as a passenger or a viewer. The largest tall ship fleet on the American side of the Great Lakes is docked on the Pier and includes:
- Schooner Manitou
- Schooner Madeline
- Schooner Utopia
- Cutter Champion
- Schooner Inland Seas (occasionally in Traverse City)
- …as well as other replicas of historic vessels
💦 Generate an active waterfront setting that encompasses a wide variety of experiences:
- Gangways and promenades for exploring the Pier, tall ships, and waterfront
- Community Sailing – learning, coaching, regattas, etc.
- Passive recreation – picnics, sightseeing, birdwatching, etc.
- Learn about water quality and stewardship with the Bay Monitor on display
- Fishing from the Pier (maybe a fish cleaning station)
- Enhance fish habitat in the waters surrounding the Pier.
- Charter operations – schooner, tour boat, sail, fishing, dive, etc.
- Universally Accessible paddle sports – canoe, kayaks, etc.
- Life-long learning opportunities with interpretive signage and hands-on interactive activities.
- Other boats – water taxis, cruise ships, visiting boats on display, university research vessels, etc.
- On-site events – fundraisers, festivals, concerts, etc.